The most common questions I receive from the folks I get to connect with in-person revolve around our Facial Oil and Body Oil: What is the difference between the two? Can I use this one on my face? Can I use that one on my body? What the heck is a face/body oil anyway?!
I’m going to lay it all out for you, so you can get to know our oils, understand what they have to offer your skin, and make the best choice on which luxurious liquid gold would best elevate your body care routine:
What are they for?
The primary function of both our face and body oils is to deliver deeply concentrated moisture and plant nutrients to feed, nourish, and protect your skin.
In general, face and body oils can be used in the same way you would use a traditional lotion to keep your skin feeling soft, supple, and moisturized. The main difference is that lotions are generally made with a high water content, where a body oil is comprised solely of concentrated oils which absorb deeply and help to create an occlusive lipid barrier on the skin – locking in moisture and protecting skin from environmental stressors.
How are they different?
Our Facial and Body oil formulas differ in three main areas:
- Oils used in the base blend
- Herbs infused
- Sensory experience
So, lets dig in deeper...
The organic cold-pressed plant oils that make up our base formulas are chosen specifically for their ability to compliment and support the texture and sensitivity of the skin where they are applied.
The shining stars of the Facial Oil blend:
- Rosehip Seed Oil: Highly regenerative and nourishing to the skin. Rich in vitamins A, E, and C, all of which work to promote collagen formation, support the skin’s structure and elasticity, nourish cells, and guard against oxidation and external stressors. Rosehip seed oil is especially suited for the delicate skin of the face because it absorbs deeply, without feeling greasy or clogging pores, and has been shown in studies to improve skin damage such as scarring, sun damage, and uneven pigmentation.
- Jojoba Oil: A luxurious liquid gold whose molecular makeup is strikingly similarly to our skin’s own sebum – the natural oil we produce to help keep moisture in and harmful pathogens out. Applied to the skin, jojoba is highly emollient, regenerative, and toning. It helps to maintain moisture while allowing skin to breathe, without feeling greasy or clogging pores.
The shining stars of our Body Oil blend:
- Apricot Kernel Oil: A lovely, light oil with emollient, nourishing, and revitalizing properties. Rich with vitamin E and antioxidants that protect cell membranes, soothe irritation, and support the skin’s natural functions. Apricot kernel oil glides onto the skin smoothly, softly, and leaves it feeling radiant and moisturized.
- Sunflower Oil: A similarly light, smooth, and powerfully nourishing oil with a high vitamin E content. Vitamin E supports regeneration of skin cells, and acts as a potent antioxidant protecting against free radicals, sun damage, and other environmental damages.
Our Facial Oil and Body Oils each receive their own unique infusion of skin-supporting herbs chosen for their unique abilities to support the health and vitality of your skin.
Key herbs in the Facial Oil:
Fireweed & Yarrow: Two Alaskan wildflower beauties that share anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and astringent qualities (among so many others). These herbs are included in the Facial Oil because of their natural ability to safeguard and support overall skin health and regeneration, to tone and tighten, and to calm redness and irritation.
Key herbs in the Body Oil:
Spruce, Pine, & Cedar: The mighty and majestic evergreens of Southeast Alaska offer our skin healing compounds found in their sap and pitch that naturally protect these giants from infection by microbes and fungus. In addition to smelling fresh and heavenly, evergreens are included in our body oil to lend their antimicrobial and antifungal properties to help keep our body’s skin barrier and first line of defense healthy and happy.
Our Facial Oil carries only the slightest wild rose scent with it’s whole plant infusion of gentle wildflowers. This ensures the rich nourishing oil remains suitable for those with sensitive skin, or sensitivities to scent. A very small amount of this super-concentrated oil goes a long way.
The Body Oil carries a bit stronger natural fragrance, as it is formulated for use on typically less sensitive areas of the body. Apricot kernel and sunflower oil’s light touch allow our Body Oils to glide effortlessly over every inch of your dry skin to moisturize and protect.
The nutshell version:
The Facial Oil is formulated especially for your face // the Body Oil is formulated especially for your body;
BOTH oils are fine to use from head to toe, and contain ingredients that moisturize and protect without clogging pores or leaving you feeling greasy! You can use the Facial and Body Oils interchangeably as your heart desires. However, I recommend first trying a small patch test of the Body Oil near your face if you have especially sensitive skin to be sure your skin feels happy with it.